"The City with Heart in the Heart of it All"
1. Q. How can I rent the Meeting Room at Mauthe Park?
A. You can call City Hall at 330-755-2181 and dial extension #144 or #137.they will take your call and check for available dates.
2. Q. How can I view the Meeting Room?
A. You must make an appointment with the park super. Call Robert Clyde at 330-301-5576 for available time. You can also see images on our Gallery Page.
3 Q. How do I rent the Rotary Pavillion at Mauthe Park?
A. Call City Hall at 330-755-2181 and dial extension #144 or #137.
4. Q. Can we use a tent?
A. There are NO tents of any kind permitted at the Meeting Room or the Rotary Pavillion.
5. Q. What are the hours?
A. The park hours are 7am until 9pm. All cars must be out at that time. The only exception would be for a late party, 10pm, at the Meeting Room.
6. Q. Capacity of the the Meeting room and The pavilion?
A. The Meeting Room has a capacity of 100 persons and the Rotary Pavilion has room for 96 people.
7. Q. Are There are ADA compliant bathroom facilities?
A. There are ADA compliant bathroom facilities at Mauthe Park. They are available during the day from 7am until 3:30pm and when the Rotary Pavillion is being rented.
There is a porta potty available twenty four – seven year around.
8. Q. Is there electricity and water provided?
A. Electricity and water are provided when the Pavilion is being rented. That is part of the rental fee.
9. Q. Are the ball fields available?
A. The ball fields at Mauthe Park are available to the public only when they are not in use by the Struthers Baseball League.
That season runs from April to May and August to September.
10. Q. Is Mauthe Park is available for special events?
A. Mauthe Park is available for special events. All rules and regulations are stated in city Ordinance # 18-015.
An appointment MUST be made with the park superintendent for consideration and information before the request can be granted.
11. Q. Is there security?
A. There is twenty four hour camera surveillance at Mauthe Park. The cameras are monitored by the Struthers Police Department with DVR recording.
12. Q. When are payments due?
A. All payments are due 45 days before the scheduled date of the rental.
13. Q. Do you supply any cooking supplies?
A. We do not supply any cooking utensils or coffee pots at the Meeting Room.
14. Q. What kind of tables and chairs are available?
A. There are 10 five foot round tables at the Meeting Room and 4 six foot rectangular tables available.
The tables sit 6 chairs each for a setting of 72. Extra chairs for seating up to 100 are on site, plus 3 banquet tables for food service adjacent to the kitchen.
This iron industry, The forerunner of America's great steel industry, probably contributed more than any one thing to the winning of freedom for the original thirteen colonies. As migration westward and the settlement of our frontiers moved ever forward, these
As the industry moved on, these
Events during the period of the construction of this furnace prove that the Indian problem was a serious one to these early settlers. The settlements in the Mahoning Valley actually faced many of the horrors, of frontier life. Most of these horrors could be traced to trouble with hostile Indians, who still roamed the forests along the Mahoning River. In
As civilization pushed ever westward living conditions in the new settlement on Yellow Creek became less hazardous. The struggle for existence however, became less rigorous only with the coming of conveniences made possible by the growth of the iron industry and the development of transportation facilities.
The little furnace on Yellow Creek was constructed by Daniel Eaton. Its capacity was but a few tons a week and the entire output was used in the casting of pots, kettles and sad irons for the new settlers. No casting of products was done on Sundays and the iron on these days was formed into small pigs, which were then transported to the Pittsburgh bloomeries where it was converted into bar-iron.
About 1806 John Struthers also saw the possibilities in the iron business and about this time he associated himself with Robert Montgomery and David Clendennin in the erection of a second furnace about a mile and 2 half down Yellow Creek from Baton's furnace. Later on this partnership purchased the Eaton stack.
The small Struthers operations prospered until 1812. The war of 1812-14, called away the available workmen and left the furnaces idle. The Eaton-Struthers furnaces never operated again and John Struthers emerged from the havoc of these war years with his industry and his lands gone.
The little settlement on Yellow Creek remained almost dormant for more than sixty years. The Ohio Canal gave impetus to the growth of Lowellville and Youngstown but it remained for the building of a railroad to bring Struthers to life.
In 1865, Thomas Struthers, son of John Struthers, who had located in Warren, Pa., bought back the old Struthers homestead, or much of if, and laid out the village, to which he gave his family's name. Two rail-roads were built through the site of the little village, a post office was established in 1866 and in 1867 industry was revived through the erection of a saw mill.
In 1869 Struthers again became an iron producing community with the construction of the Anna Furnace by the Struthers. Iron Company. In 1880 there was added the sheet mill plant of the Summer's Brothers Co., and in 1888 the plant of the J. A. and D. P. Cooper Gear Company.
With all these activities Struthers still remained a village of less than 1,000 inhabitants, after 100 years had elapsed since John.Struthers built his first cabin and erected the sawmill and grist mill on Yellow Creek. In 1899 Struthers was brought into closer communication with Youngstown and the upper Mahoning Valley by the completion of an interurban electric line.
In 1902 the neighboring village of East Youngstown (now Campbell) was started. This new community was started shortly after the incorporation of The Youngstown Iron Sheet and Tube Company (known as The Youngstown Sheet and Tube Co., since 1905).
The erection of this plant, near the 100-year-old settlement gave Struthers a growth impetus which demanded civic action. Throughout the years the village was an unincorporated part of Poland Township, but the need of a better government became apparent and in November 1902, Struthers became a formally incorporated municipality, with an historical background of which it could well be proud.
The first village election was held on Dec. 6, 1902, with the first village officers as follows: Thomas Roberts, mayor, Andrew E. Black, clerk, Seth J. McNabb, treasurer, George Demmil, marshal, George Zumpky, William Maurice, Harry Swager, W. A. Morrison, Clark McCombs and John H. Shatter as councilmen.