The City of Struthers Fire Department is a combination department comprised of Full-time and Part-time members. The city is served by two, 24/7-staffed fire stations.
The Main station serves the majority of the residents of the city including all of District 2, half of District 1, and the Nebo Neighborhood which are all west of the downtown railroad tracks. The Northside Stations serves everything east of the railroad tracks which comprises the rest of District 1, all residents on the Northside hill, and the downtown Industrial District.
The main station also houses a reserve fire engine, a rescue/squad truck, and a command vehicle. The department provides first response to emergency medical calls within the city providing both Basic Life Support (BLS) and Advanced Life Support (ALS) service until an ambulance arrives to transport the patient to the hospital. Each station houses a first due fire engine equipped with all suppression, rescue, and medical equipment.
The department has 9 Full-time employees who work a 24/48 rotating schedule and approximately 20 Part-time employees who respond directly to incidents. All full-time employees are, at a minimum, Level II firefighters and Basic Life Support trained. The department's staff also provides fire safety inspections of local businesses and residences, fire safety and fire prevention education, and investigation of all fire-related incidents.
In 1970, the city was in desperate need of a new fire engine to serve the city. At this time the city was being serviced by a 1949 Mack and a 1954 LaFrance as the first due fire engines. Approved by City Council and the Mayor, Fire Chief Donald Cooper was given the go-ahead to order a brand-new fire truck to serve the city. The Chief designed and ordered a custom fire engine with a Mack cab and chassis and John Bean fire engine body. One of the specifications from the chief’s design stated it was to be a “Red fire engine with white interior”. Approximately 8 months later, the Chief was notified the fire engine was completed and would be delivered to the city. However, when the fire engine arrived, it was a brand new 1971 Mack that was white with a red interior! When the Chief investigated, he learned a miscommunication at the factory between the designers and the paint shop caused this white fire truck to be at the City’s doorstep. Due to the city’s extreme need for a new, properly working, fire truck and the time it would take to send the truck back to be repainted and have a new interior installed, the Chief made the decision to keep the truck as is. Thus, began the tradition of white fire trucks in the city of Struthers. The next fire engine to serve the city was a 1979 Mack and was customed ordered to be white to match the 1971 Mack.
The 1949 “Red” Mack and the 1979 “ White” Mack are both currently owned by City Resident Michael Patrick and can be seen each year in the City’s Fourth of July Parade.